Below is a selection of statements and resources from the Board of Directors (BOD) for the 501(c)(3) non-profit entity known as the Regional Service Office of Hawaii, Inc (RSOH).
The members of the BOD consist of the following Hawaii Regional Service Committee (HRSC) members: Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary, Regional Delegate and Alternate Delegate.
The BOD is responsible for maintaining a general liability insurance policy to cover the groups and service committees from third party liability law suits.
We have an FAQ on our insurance policy if you need more information: 2020 FAQ General Liability Insurance Policy HRSC 20200112
August 1, 2020: As a result of our recent pandemic crisis over COVID-19, facilities are requesting groups to sign a waiver basically stating that the facility is not liable if someone in attendance contracts the COVID-19 virus.
The BOD of the RSOH, Inc., questioned our insurance agent on COVID-19 and wish to communicate the following points to the NA Hawaii Fellowship:
- Our insurance policy DOES NOT cover communicable disease such as COVID-19.
- A waiver on COVID-19 as signed by individuals for a group or service committee is only binding on those who signed the document and is not binding on NA as a whole within the Hawaii Region.
- Those who sign such a waiver may be personally liable if someone were to sue over contracting COVID-19 at a group/meeting or local service committee meeting.
- Recovery or service committee meetings held in a residential property are not covered by our general liability insurance policy.
- Further, the BOD of the RSOH, Inc, is asking the groups and service committees to review their facility contracts to assure that their associated Area Service Committee’s name is used and not a Group or individuals’ name. Those meetings without contracts, i.e. those meeting in public places such as a park, are covered as long as they are listed on their area’s meeting directory.
August 1, 2020 – For questions on the general liability insurance policy, please direct them to your Regional Committee Member for your Area Service Committee.
For questions or comments on this and other resources published here by the BOD, please contact the BOD through the website feedback form.
August 1, 2020: The following is a link is to the NA World Services page on resources for virtual meetings. These resources are from the multitude of NA service committees and groups dealing with the pandemic crisis thru virtual technical services:
August 1, 2020: The following link is to our page on a useful checklist for deciding on restarting a physical, face-to-face recovery meeting:
March 17, 2020: Aloha Hawaii Region Fellowship of Narcotic Anonymous
The Hawaii Regional Service Committee Admin/Board of Directors met virtually via Zoom on Sunday, March 15, 2020 to discuss the current effects that the Coronavirus (COVID-19) has been and will continue to affect our fellowship through our common practices, meetings, and events.
If our fellow members are seeking guidance regarding COVID-19, we are recommending that they refer to the NA World Services Statement Regarding Coronavirus. We are supporting NAWS to promote safe practices as a priority as well as following the guide from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and our local government regarding precautionary measures.
Regarding our meetings and events, it appears that many of the facilities we hold our meetings and our events, may have decided to close their doors. Our groups meetings may decide to postpone meeting until further notice, or some may decide to continue to meet at a different location temporarily. Whatever decision is made, please notify your Area Committee, Area Regional Committee Member (RCM), and update meeting information by using the meeting change form link our NA Hawaii website at na-hawaii.org.
NA event committees should communicate with event venues to discuss options of postponing and/or rescheduling events while limiting financial impact to the fellowship. Once decisions have been finalized, please notify the hosting event Area, Area RCM, and update event information through the link on na-hawaii.org.
Please help keep yourself, your family, and the community safe.
March 17, 2020
Hawaii Virtual Meetings: https://na-hawaii.org/list-of-virtual-meetings-in-hawaii/
World Wide Virtual Meetings: https://virtual-na.org
Department of Health, State of Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov
Centers for Disease Control (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/